Even though there are great organizations to provide support to crime victims, one of the few ways to receive a monetary settlement is to hire a lawyer to represent you in a civil case. Experienced attorneys at PA Crime Victim Legal Advocates have experience passionately fighting for crime victim justice.
Major Victories by Our Crime Victims Rights Lawyers
- $4.4 million-A car crash resulting in the death of two passengers, and two others injured, after Applebee’s over served the driver of their vehicle, resulting in a settlement in excess of $4.4 million. Read more about this case.
- $1.7 million-The wrongful death of a young man involved in a motor vehicle accident resulting in a $1.7 million dollar settlement.
- An accidental shooting in a Chester County bar where our client was rendered completely blind resulting in a substantial confidential settlement. Read more about this case.
- Six Figure Recovery-Injuries from hospital negligence resulting in partial paralysis resulting in a $750,000 settlement.
Rights of Crime Victims in Pennsylvania
For a victim of crime, life may never be the same. Crime doesn’t just affect the victim’s life, but the lives of their loved ones.
Government and non-profit organizations devoted to helping victims of crime do exist. These types of programs may offer counseling and help victims get back on their feet. Some organizations may also help family members deal with the devastating effects of the crime.
Unfortunately, few victims of crime ever get monetary compensation for their injuries, which may result in severe financial consequences. The crime victim lawyers at PA Crime Victim Legal Advocates are devoted to changing this.
Civil Crime Victim Cases
Civil personal injury law may, in many instances, provide victims of crime a civil battleground where they can find justice.
A crime victim is entitled for compensation against more than just the criminal defendant. Even if the defendant is found not guilty in a criminal case, our lawyers can help establish the background for a civil lawsuit. A victim does not need to wait for the criminal case to be resolved before filing a civil suit. Victims of crime can file a lawsuit against any entity or business that contributed to or caused the crime. A victim of abuse may also be a victim of neglect of the business or organization that allowed for the crime to happen.
There is no law in Pennsylvania that prohibits a crime victim from pursuing a civil case just because the State is prosecuting a criminal matter. These two popular cases demonstrate this very idea:
- The family of Ron Goldman won a civil wrongful death suit against O.J. Simpson for the death of their son and brother, even though Simpson was found criminally innocent of Mr. Goldman’s killing.
- The family of Bonnie Lee Blakely sued Robert Blake for her wrongful death, even though Mr. Blake was found innocent of her murder in the criminal case.
|Common Types of Civil Claims
||Common Defendants in Civil Cases
Victims of Abuse
The lawyers at PA Crime Victim Legal Advocates have experience dealing with the sensitive nature of abuse crimes.
- Elder Abuse
- Nursing Home Abuse
- Child Abuse
- Sexual Abuse
- Sexual Assault
- Priest Abuse
- Assault by a Massage Therapist